Associate Vice President for Human Resources
The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Human Resources, provides strategic leadership for the university in the planning, development, and implementation of quality–based integrated Human Resources programs and services, including, but not limited to classification, compensation, faculty and staff recruitment, benefits, leave, retirement, records maintenance/HRIS, employee relations, and training and development. This position reports to the Vice-President and CFO. As the top ranking Human Resources executive in the university, the AVP will work closely with members of the President’s Cabinet to ensure proper protocols and procedures are followed.
- Serves as a lead contributor to university strategy and the development of goals and policies, particularly as they relate to human capital management.
- Provides vision for university strategy in the development of goals, programs, and policies related to advancing the university’s most valuable asset – its human resources.
- Assists and advises senior management on an array of HR issues, including organizational planning and development, organizational structure, job design, human capital forecasting, performance management, and risk management.
- Creates and administers the budget for the department. Monitors and evaluates expenditures and recommends budget strategies and actions.
- Supervises, manages, and develops the HR staff in their support of the HR functions. Plans, organizes, and directs the activities and resources of the department. Provides performance feedback with attention to each employee’s customer service orientation and the enhancement of skills (professional development).
- Determines and recommends employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale.
- Identifies legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting Human Resources functions (e.g., OSHA, EEO, ERISA, Wage & Hour). Monitors risks of the university. Directs the preparation of information requested or required for compliance. Acts as primary contact with labor counsel and outside government agencies in matters that pertain to personnel.
- Protects the interests of employees and the university in accordance with Human Resources policies and governmental laws and regulations. Approves recommendations for terminations. Reviews employee appeals through complaint procedure.
- Directs a process of organizational planning and development that evaluates structure, job design, and human capital forecasting throughout the university. Coordinates activities across division/departmental lines. Evaluates plans and changes to plans. Makes recommendations to senior management. Maintains university organization charts and employee directory.
- Maintains wage and salary structure, pay policies, performance appraisal programs, employee benefit programs and services, and establishes standard recruiting and placement practices and procedures. Reviews variances to schedules. Interviews executive-level candidates.
- Establishes in-house management training programs that address university needs across division/departmental lines (e.g., new employee orientation and onboarding, performance appraisals, interviewing skills).
- Defines all Human Resources programs, and authority/responsibility of Human Resources and line management within those programs. Provides necessary education and materials to line management and employees through workshops, manuals, employee handbooks, and standardized reports.
- Selects and coordinates the use of Human Resources consultants, training specialists, and other outside sources.
- Conducts an on-going study of all Human Resources policies, programs, and practices to ensure compliance with any changes in the law or statutes, and keeps top management informed of new developments.
- Directs the preparation and maintenance of such reports as are necessary to carry out functions of the department. Prepares periodic reports to top management, as necessary or requested.
- Maintains his/her professional and technical knowledge by attending education workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing networks of resources, and participating in professional organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree required from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Eight to ten years of experience or more in increasingly responsible management positions within Human Resources.
- Generalist background with broad knowledge of employment, compensation, organizational planning, employee relations, compliance, and training and development.
- Ability to set priorities, focus energy and resources, strengthen operations, and ensure employees and other stakeholders are working toward common goals.
- Ability to build trust with diverse constituencies through personal characteristics and display of respect, integrity, and high ethical standards.
- Strong management skills regarding principles and people. Experience working with multiple university divisions and departments preferred.
- Exemplary communication skills and well-developed administrative skills.
- Knowledge and expertise regarding labor law and legal and constitutional requirements as they pertain to employee management.
- Ability to identify potential risks/hazards in advance that could negatively affect the organization’s ability to conduct business. Identify inherent risks and provide measures, processes, and controls to reduce the impact of these risks to business operations.
- Positive, collaborative work-style, inquisitive attitude, flexibility, creativity, focus on excellence, and overall “great-to-work-with” demeanor.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) is required; Workday experience preferred.
- Experience in the higher education sector.
- Prefer SPHR or SHRM-CP/SCP certification.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Specialized training in organizational planning, compensation, and employee relations preferred.
About the Institution:
Located in Lakeland, Florida, between Orlando and Tampa, Florida Polytechnic University is the 12th and newest university in the State University System of Florida. Florida’s only public university for engineering and technology dedicated to science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), the institution was opened in 2014 to provide both a rigorous academic institution and a powerful resource for high-tech industries.
Anchored by a spectacular marquis building designed by internationally renowned architect Santiago Calatrava, Florida Poly is on the cutting edge of high-tech STEM education. The university currently enrolls 1,500 students and employs approximately 300 faculty and staff.
Florida Poly was established to advance the state’s economy by training a highly skilled technical workforce and has established a name for itself as a university with a rigorous curriculum, advanced research equipment and a focus on solving industry problems with creative solutions. The university works closely with industry-leading firms to ensure its curriculum matches industry needs and prepares students for the high-tech workforce. These partners provide students with an integrated learning experience by participating in joint teaching and research efforts, and by providing internship opportunities relevant to the unique curriculum.
Florida Polytechnic University has been granted initial regional accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The university has a vision to influence the economic development of the 4,000 acres that surround Florida Poly to create a robust research park that would bring together industry, academia, and government. Click here to read more about Florida Poly’s blueprint for the future including its five-year strategic plan.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications must be received on or before May 15, 2019. Please submit PDF versions of your resume and a brief letter of interest upon application. Florida Polytechnic University is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer.
Please note: This search is being conducted in compliance with the State of Florida’s Sunshine Laws.
Application URL: https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=su150