Innovation, Science, and Technology Building, Room 2096, 4700 Research Way, Lakeland, FL 33805
Ph.D. in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK, 1976
M.S. in Information and Systems Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK, 1971
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Eng. and Technology, Dhaka, 1967
Social Media Accounts/Websites *
Google Scholar Profile
Dr. Muhammad Rashid is professor and chair of the departments of electrical and computer engineering. Previously, he was employed by the University of West Florida as a professor of electrical and computer engineering. He was also employed by the University of Florida as professor and director of the UF/UWF Joint Program. He worked as a professor of electrical engineering and the chair of the engineering department at Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne. Also, he worked as visiting assistant professor of electrical engineering at the University of Connecticut, associate professor of electrical engineering at Concordia University (Montreal, Canada), professor of electrical engineering at Purdue University Calumet, and visiting professor of electrical engineering at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (Saudi Arabia), as a design and development engineer with Brush Electrical Machines Ltd. (England, UK), a research engineer with Lucas Group Research Centre (England, UK), a lecturer and head of control engineering department at the Higher Institute of Electronics (in Libya and Malta).
Rashid is actively involved in teaching, researching, and lecturing in electronics, power electronics, and professional ethics. He has published 22 books listed in the U.S. Library of Congress and more than 160 technical papers. His books are adopted as textbooks all over the world. His book, “Power Electronics” has translations in Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian, Korean, Italian, Chinese, Persian, and Indian. His book, “Microelectronics” has translations in Spanish in Mexico and in Spain, Italian, and Chinese.
He has received many invitations from foreign governments and agencies to give keynote lectures and consult, by foreign universities to serve as an external examiner for undergraduate, master’s and Ph.D. examinations, by funding agencies to review research proposals, and by the U.S. and foreign universities to evaluate promotion cases for a professorship. Rashid has worked as a regular employee or consultant in Canada, Korea, United Kingdom, Singapore, Malta, Libya, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. Rashid has traveled to almost every state in the U.S. and many countries to lecture and present papers (Japan, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Taiwan, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, India, Pakistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Libya, Jordan, Egypt, Morocco, Malta, Italy, Greece, United Kingdom, Brazil, and Mexico).
Rashid is an ABET program evaluator for electrical and computer engineering (and also from 1995-2000) and was an engineering evaluator for the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). He is also an ABET program evaluator for (general) engineering program. He is part of the Series Editors of Power Electronics and Applications, and Nanotechnology and Applications with the CRC Press. He serves as the editorial advisor of Electric Power and Energy with Elsevier Publishing and is a series editor of Energy Systems in Electrical Engineering with Springer Publishing. He lectures and conducts workshops on outcome-based education (OBE) and its implementations including assessments.
- Power electronics
- Renewable energy
- Electric motor drives
- Outcome-based education (OBE)
- Life Fellow, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (New York) with the citation “Leadership in power electronics education and contributions to the analysis and design methodologies of solid-state power converters.” Class of 2000
- Fellow, Institution of Engineering and Technology, (London, UK)
- Member, American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Achievement Award, IEEE Industry Applications Society, 2013
- Undergraduate Teaching Award with a citation “for his distinguished leadership and dedication to quality undergraduate electrical engineering education, motivating students, and publication,” IEEE, 2008
- Meritorious Achievement Award in Continuing Education with a citation “for contributions to the design and delivery of continuing education in power electronics and computer-aided-simulation,” IEEE Educational Activities Board, 2002
- Distinguished Lecturer and Speaker, IEEE-Industry Applications Society, 2001-2003
- Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Education Society, 2010
- Outstanding Engineer Award, IEEE, 1991
- M. H. Rashid, Microelectronic Circuits: Analysis and Design, Cengage Publishing, 2017. ISBN-13: 978-1305635166, ISBN-10: 1305635167
- M. H Rashid, Power Electronics – Devices, Circuits, and Applications. Pearson Publishing, 2014, ISBN-10: 0133125904 • ISBN-13: 9780133125900
- M. H. Rashid, Introduction to PSpice Using OrCAD/LTspice for Circuits and Electronics, Cengage Publishing – on production expected to be published in 2017.
- M. H. Rashid (editor), Power Electronics Handbook, Butterworth Heinemann, on production expected to be published in 2017.
- M. H. Rashid (editor), Electric Renewable Energy Systems, Elsevier Publishing, 2016, ISBN-13: 978-0128044483, ISBN-10: 0128044489
- M. H. Rashid (editor), Alternative Energy in Power Electronics, Elsevier Publishing, 2015, ISBN-13: 978-0124167148, ISBN-10: 0124167144
- M. H. Rashid, Electronic Circuits and Applications, 1/e. ISBN # 9788131522844, 562 Pages, CL Engineering, 2014.
- M. H. Rashid, Electronic Devices and Circuits, 1/e. ISBN # 978813152285, 804 Pages, CL Engineering, 2014.
- M. H. Rashid, Linear Integrated Circuits, 1/e. ISBN # 9788131522837, 534 Pages, CL Engineering, 2014.
- M. H. Rashid, SPICE for Power Electronics and Electric Power, 3/e, CRC Pres, May 2012, 560 pages.
- M. H. Rashid, The Process of Outcome-Based Education – Implementation, Assessment and Evaluations, .2012 UiTM Press, Malaysia
*External, third-party sites not maintained by Florida Polytechnic University