What is Ablaze?
The Ablaze annual employee awards celebration recognizes the extraordinary professional contributions and quality service of our University staff and faculty and their integral role in advancing Florida Poly’s mission. Ablaze will be held April 15, 2020.
2020 nominations were accepted from Jan. 6-24.
- All staff and faculty (and students, for faculty teaching award only) are invited to participate in nominations.
- Nominations must be submitted through the electronic nomination form located on the website and through the Weekly Phoenix. It must include information describing the nominee’s achievements and contributions that reflect the award’s principle criteria and attributes. Nominators should make a clear and compelling case and include an explanation of why or how the nominator is in a position to have accurately observed that the nominee meets the criteria of the award.
- Additional documentation may be included to help the selection committee fully appreciate the nominee’s achievements.
- Employees may be nominated for more than one award.
- A current employee must submit nominations; self-nominations are not accepted, except for faculty-only awards.
Every staff and faculty member is eligible to be nominated for one of six possible award categories.
- All regular full-time staff and faculty are eligible to receive an award, provided they are in “good standing” with his/her respective department and the University at the time of nomination.
- Nominees must have consistently performed in an exemplary manner, exceeding the expectations of their position, and should demonstrate commitment to the mission of the University and reflect Florida Poly’s culture fundamentals found in The Florida Poly Formula.
- The president and his cabinet members are not eligible.
- Temporary (OPS) employees are not eligible.
- A nominee is not eligible to receive the same award within the previous four years.
Selection Process and Timeline
Awardees are selected based on a review of qualified nominations and the recommendations of the respective Award Selection Committees (ASC). To avoid possible conflicts of interest, selection committee members cannot also be nominees.
The committee chairs will coordinate submitted nominations with committee members for review and selection. The chairs will also coordinate with the Human Resources Department to verify nominee eligibility (employment status).
- Nominations open: Monday, Jan. 6
- Nominations close: Friday, Jan. 24
- Nominees notified: Monday, Jan. 27
- Faculty portfolios due to provost’s office: Friday, February 28
- ASC final selections determined: Friday, March 27
- Awards event: Wednesday, April 15
Ablaze Program Committee
Kris Wharton, Chair
All award recipients will receive a letter of recognition from the president, a framed certificate, an award or medallion, and a monetary award. Each winner will also be featured in an article on the university website and recognized on the “Wall of Excellence,” in the Innovation, Science, and Technology Building.
Winners should be present at the event to receive their award prizes.