Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Academics Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

What’s the average class size at Florida Poly?

Average class sizes for degree courses are 20-25 students, while general education classes may have more students.

How do you integrate academics and work experience in the classroom?

Florida Polytechnic University works closely with industry-leading firms to ensure our curriculum matches industry needs and prepares students for the high-tech workforce. Our industry partners provide students with an integrated learning experience by participating in joint teaching and research efforts, and by providing internship opportunities relevant to our unique curriculum.

Are there academic support services available outside of class?

The university offers the Academic Success Center, located in the second floor Commons area, which provides tutoring, study groups, workshops, seminars and summer camps. Assistance ranges from individual tutoring to workshops on how to prepare a resume.

Where can I buy or rent books for class? What about laptops or campus apparel and other spirit items?

Barnes & Noble is the campus provider of course books, information, and other resources. The store is located in the Wellness Center, directly across from the Admissions Center. Please see the bookstore website for additional information. In addition to books, you can also order anything from laptops, to wallets or car decals and more to show your Florida Poly spirit!

Does Florida Poly have an honors program?

True to polytechnic philosophy, Florida Poly offers all students a rigorous education with small class sizes, hands-on learning and unique capstone and internship opportunities, taught by exceptional scholars. Therefore, at this time, the University does not have a separate honors program.

Is there a work-study program that allows me to work in my field and cover some of my living costs while going to college?

There is a program for hiring student workers; incoming students should check with the Admissions Office for details. Jobs for student workers are listed on the university website. Students also will have internship opportunities with our industry partners. Students should visit the Career Development page for details.

Where can I learn more about my professors? How can I get a copy of the course catalog?

The university website includes profile pages and biographies for each of our faculty members and key staff members. Please see our university catalog. You can also view a list of degree programs and concentrations in the Academics section of

When will Florida Poly students be able to participate in applied research opportunities?

Students are immersed in their chosen field of study beginning in their freshman year. Sophomore year includes laboratory work that focuses on building a foundation in your chosen major.

Does Florida Poly have a final senior project or capstone requirement?

Yes. In your junior year, you will participate in capstone research courses where teams of students design, build and test a solution to a real industry problem. The internships and projects you complete in your senior year will demonstrate proficiency in all previous courses.

Can you graduate with honors from Florida Poly?


Florida Poly will grant three degrees of distinction to graduating undergraduate students. Students must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours at Florida Polytechnic University and have a cumulative GPA as follows:

  • Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.50 to 3.74
  • Magna Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.75 to 3.89
  • Summa Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.90 and above

In addition, the Provost or the Provost’s designee has the option to select based on merit one percent of the college’s graduates or one student per semester to graduate with distinction. For more details, please see the official policy here: FPU-5.0017 AP-Graduation-with-Honors.

What is the expected timeline for graduation?

Four years for beginning freshmen and two years for transfer students.

Can Florida Polytechnic University offer me help and assistance starting my career after graduation?

Preparing students for successful technology careers starts long before graduation at Florida Poly. We provide a hands-on approach to STEM learning that immerses students in their majors, allowing them to gain experience in their fields much faster than they would at most other universities.

Undergraduate Admissions Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

Where can I learn more about my professors? How can I view the coursework required for each program?

The university website includes biographies for each faculty and staff. These profiles include information about their professional and academic backgrounds as well as their experience conducting research in their fields.

The course catalog provides course listings for each program of study–these are the courses that students are required to complete prior to graduating from Florida Poly.

Does Florida Poly have a final senior project or capstone requirement?

Yes. In their junior year, students participate in capstone research courses where teams of student’s design, build, and test solutions to real industry problems. The internships and projects that students complete during the course of their program demonstrates proficiency in previous courses and makes a strong connection between students and actual employers in their field of study.

What is the expected timeline for graduation?

First-Time-in-College (FTIC) students who do not transfer in any college credits should expect to graduate in four years. Time to graduation for FTIC students who are transferring in college credit(s) will depend upon the amount of credits transferred in. Students can work with the registrar’s office to develop their own timeline as soon as they have been admitted to the university.

What are the admissions requirements?

Those details are available on the admissions requirements page.

What steps should I take to apply?

The undergraduate admissions website has detailed information about the application process and important deadlines.

When should I apply?

The undergraduate admissions website has detailed information about the application process and important deadlines.

Do you offer graduate degree programs?

Yes. Florida Poly offers a Master of Science in Engineering and a Master of Science in Computer Science. For applicants seeking admission to Florida Poly’s graduate school visit the graduate admissions page.

Do you accept AP, IB, Dual Enrollment, and AICE credit?

Yes. Any college credit that you’ve earned that matches the course requirements for your program of study can be transferred in for credit. This ensures that you will not need to retake any course that you have already earned for college credit. To see exactly how your coursework may transfer in to Florida Poly, visit the accelerated credit page.

Does Florida Poly have a foreign language requirement?

Yes. Per Florida regulation, students applying to Florida Poly are required to complete a Level 2 foreign language or American Sign Language Course (e.g. Spanish 2, French 2, etc.). Students who have not met this requirement will be required to complete a Level 2 college-level foreign language course prior to earning their baccalaureate degree.

Do you accept secondary (high school) or university transcripts from international schools?

Yes, we do accept transcripts from international schools. We require transcripts that are translated into English and evaluated for U.S. credit equivalency if the school uses a different grading system and/or if they are not already in English. You can use the Academic Evaluation Services (AES), World Education Services (WES) or Josef Silny & Associates, Inc to perform the official evaluation and translation.* All costs to perform these services are the responsibility of the student, and official sealed copies must be submitted. *If you are submitting international secondary school (high school equivalent) transcripts, you must submit a document-by-document evaluation with a GPA calculation. Post-secondary/university school transcript submissions must have a course-by-course evaluation completed.

How many AP/IB/AICE/College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) test credits can be transferred in?

A maximum of 45 semester hours may be granted by combining AP/IB/CLEP/AICE test credit.

How is my high school GPA calculated for admission?

Your GPA is recalculated based on the academic core courses (including English, math, science, social studies and foreign language). Florida Poly uses a 4.0 grading scale, and also awards additional quality points for any weighted courses within the academic core. Courses marked as Pre-AP, Pre-IB, Pre-AICE, and Honors are given an additional .5 quality point. Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Advanced International Certification of Education (AICE), and Dual Enrollment (DE) courses are given 1 additional quality point.

What is the Residency Classification Application? When should I submit it?

By default, every student is considered an out-of-state resident for tuition purposes. This means tuition is billed at the out-of-state rate. The state of Florida requires documentation to prove a student is a resident and eligible for reduced in-state tuition rates. The Residency Classification Application should not be submitted and will not be accepted until after the tuition deposit is received on behalf of an admitted student.

When is the deadline to submit the Residency Classification Application?

The deadline to turn in the Residency Classification Application, as well as all required documentation, is prior to the first day of classes. Residency for tuition purposes is final as of the first day of classes.

Does Florida Polytechnic University admit international students?

Yes. Florida Polytechnic University is authorized to issue Form I-20 for accepted students seeking an F-1 Student Visa. The first step for interested students is to visit our web page for International Admissions for a description of our program and contact information. There is information to help you apply to the university. You also can read about the Admissions requirements. Students also should visit for information on the Student Exchange and Visitor Program and to learn how to successfully navigate the U.S. immigration process.

Will my credits transfer?

The awarding of transfer credits for coursework completed at Florida Polytechnic University is at the sole discretion of the recipient institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm, in advance of enrollment, if the prospective recipient institution will accept credits earned at Florida Poly. The university does not imply, promise, or guarantee that any credits earned at this university will be transferable or accepted by any other institution.

Phoenix Shuttle Service Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

What is the Florida Poly shuttle service?

The Florida Poly Phoenix Shuttle is a service to student paid for with the funds from the transportation fees. It provides rides to campus from select apartment complexes. Hours of operation are based on class schedules, ridership, and funding. For the most up to day information on the current shuttle schedule please see the parking and transportation page. It is exclusively for the university community. All you have to do is show your university ID. Best of all, it is free.

How often does the shuttle operate?

The shuttle service varies based on class schedules, ridership, and funding. For full information on the shuttle schedule please see the parking and transportation page:

Where are the campus stops?

Here are the campus stops, with signs, at the university:

  • Parking Lot 6
  • Innovation, Science and Technology Building
  • Admissions Center (across the street)

Where does the shuttle go to in Lakeland?

For more information on the shuttle service, including times, please visit the parking & transportation page. Questions or comments can be emailed to or call 863-874-8440.

Campus Life Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

What clubs and organizations can I participate in at Florida Poly?

Florida Poly has a growing list of clubs and organizations, as well as an active Student Government Association. Students are encouraged to pursue their passions or explore new interests by joining student-led organizations. Student organizations have an important place in campus life, connecting students, promoting social interaction, encouraging teamwork and providing leadership opportunities. If you don’t see a club that interests you, there are plenty of opportunities to get an organization started.

Does Florida Poly offer study abroad options?

Florida Poly does offer several study abroad options.

Does Florida Poly have a sports program?

The university has a fitness center and intramural sports program.

Do incoming students need immunization records?

Yes. All students who are accepted and intend to enroll into the university and/or reside in the residence halls must furnish immunization information prior to registration. For additional information, please contact or your admissions counselor.

What dining options are available on campus?

Campus dining includes an “all you care to eat” cafeteria, a sandwich and sub shop and a convenience store. We also have two Starbucks cafes as well as beverage and snack vending machines throughout campus. Please see our Dining Services page for pricing and ordering information.

What are the options for student housing?

The university offers two Residence Halls on campus designed with the modern student in mind. Please see the housing website for more information.

Is driving on I-4 the only way to get to Florida Poly?

Students who don’t wish to drive on I-4 can get to Florida Poly using the Polk Parkway. It’s a toll road, but automated Sun Passes are readily available and convenient. The university is located directly off of the Exit 23 (Pace Road). See detailed directions here.

Is there a bus service for commuter students and transportation to Lakeland?

The Florida Polytechnic University shuttle is an easy and convenient service for students who live off-campus or students without transportation. The shuttle passes through some of the most popular off-campus housing locations and other major shopping locations. Our real-time map also allows you to accurately gauge your schedule and arrival/departure time.

Click the following links to get started.



Am I allowed to park my car on campus?

Parking permits are required if you or your guests plan on parking on campus. For more information on student and guest parking procedures, please see our Parking and Transportation Services web page, which includes the campus parking map.

Federal Aid Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

What are federal Title IV Funds?

Title IV funds are federal student aid funds from federal student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Title IV funds include Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Direct PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG). It does not include scholarships from the University or other private organizations.

How are Title IV Funds applied to my student account?

The Department of Education requires that Title IV funds be applied only to specific allowable charges. Qualified charges include: tuition, mandatory fees and room and board contracted by Florida Polytechnic University.

What is the purpose of the Title IV Authorization Form?

In compliance with federal regulations, we must obtain voluntary permission from the student to apply federal financial aid proceeds to pay for charges other than tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by Florida Polytechnic University.

Do I need to sign a new authorization form each semester?

No, by signing this document, you are granting the University authorization to retain excess Title IV funds while you are a student at Florida Polytechnic University, including breaks in enrollment. You may rescind your authorization at any time.

Does having an excess of Title IV Funds mean that I have an overall credit balance on my student account?

Not necessarily. An excess of Title IV funds means that your federal financial aid exceeds the allowable charges it is permitted to pay. You may login to CAMS to determine if you have a credit balance or an amount due to Florida Polytechnic University.

What is Florida Poly’s FASFA school code?


Do I need to fill out the FAFSA every year to apply for financial aid?

Yes, in order to be considered for financial aid you must file a FAFSA every year.

Why should I fill out the FAFSA?

Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and gives you access to federal student aid to help assist in tuition costs at Florida Polytechnic University. In addition, it can be used to apply for state grants and money from most colleges and universities.

Which parent do I include on the FAFSA if my parents are divorced?

You should include the parent (and step-parent if the parent has re-married) you lived with for the greater amount of time during the past 12 months. If you didn’t live with either parent, or if you lived with each parent an equal amount of time, then include the parent who provided the greater amount of parental/financial support during the past 12 months.

History Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

Are you part of Florida’s State University System?

Yes. We’re in great company and enjoy support and funding from the Governor’s office and the State.

When did the University welcome its inaugural class?

Classes began August 2014. The university academic calendar for 2015-16 is located in the Student Handbook.

Is Florida Polytechnic University accredited?

Yes. Florida Polytechnic University has been granted initial regional accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelor’s and master’s degrees.

ID Cards Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

What is the Florida Poly ID Card?

The Florida Poly ID Card is the official identification card of Florida Polytechnic University. It is issued to all members of the university community and is required for identification and access to essential campus services. It also offers a convenient account for making purchases on and off campus. All students, faculty and staff at Florida Poly are currently eligible to receive a Florida Poly ID Card.

How do I get my Florida Poly ID Card?

Florida Poly ID Cards are issued and distributed at the Wellness Center, Hours: M-F (8am-5pm) with a valid photo ID and a copy of your class schedule.

What if I lose my Florida Poly ID card?

Immediately report a lost or stolen card to the Auxiliary Department at 863.874.8440. To deactivate your Florida Poly Bucks account, click here or call 1-888-820-0454. Replacement cards are issued at the Wellness Center. A $15 fee will be charged to replace your card.

What is my Student ID Number?

Your Student ID Number is located on the front of your Florida Poly ID Card and begins with “U”. It is not your social security number, but a unique number that is 10 digits in length.

What is my Florida Poly Bucks Number?

Your 16-digit Florida Poly Bucks number is located on the front of your Florida Poly ID Card and uniquely identifies your prepaid spending account.

What’s the difference between my Meal Plan and Florida Poly Bucks?

Both accounts are accessed by your Florida Poly ID Card.

Meal Plans do not roll over.

Florida Poly Bucks is a pre-paid spending account offering a safe and convenient way to make purchases on and off campus. It is designed to eliminate the need to carry cash. You or your parents must add value to Florida Poly Bucks before using it for purchases. Value in Florida Poly Bucks rolls over from semester to semester and from year to year.

To learn more about how to use the pre-paid accounts on your Florida Poly ID Card, click here.

How does Florida Poly Bucks work?

Florida Poly Bucks is a cashless, pre-paid spending account on your Florida Poly ID Card that is accepted on and off the University campus. You must add value to your account before using Florida Poly Bucks to make purchases and have sufficient value available in your account to pay for each transaction. Every time you use your Florida Poly Bucks account, the amount of the transaction will be deducted from your account and you may not spend more value than you have. Unused balances roll over semester to semester and year to year.

When is value added to Florida Poly Bucks available?

Funds transferred by debit/credit card and cash are available instantly. Check deposits are available on the business day received. If a check is returned to us by your financial institution for insufficient funds, the deposit will be reversed from your Florida Poly Bucks account and a Returned Payment/Check fee will be assessed. If the Returned Payment/Check fee creates a negative balance in your account, you will be contacted to make another payment to the account.

Where can I use Florida Poly Bucks?

Florida Poly Bucks can be used at many campus locations and at off-campus businesses. These can be identified by the “Welcomed” sign featuring the Florida Poly ID Card and Florida Poly Bucks logos. Click here for a complete list of accepting locations.

How do I make a purchase with Florida Poly Bucks?

At retail locations, Florida Poly Bucks works much like a debit or credit card. Just present your Florida Poly ID Card for payment to the attendant at the register. Your card will be swiped in a terminal and the transaction authorized. You may be asked to sign a printed receipt of the approved transaction. At self-service locations, simply insert your card in the terminal.

What happens if I swipe my card at a self-service location and the machine does not work?

If the self-service machine does not work properly, you will not be charged for the transaction. If for any reason you are charged, please email us at for a refund request. Please include the location, date & time of the transaction(s) in question.

How do I recommend additional accepting locations for Florida Poly Bucks?

Cardholder suggestions are welcome and encouraged. Recommendations can be sent via e-mail to Please include the name of the location and why you would like to see them join the program.

What if I forget my username or password?

Go to Florida Poly Bucks Cardholder Account Center. Under the Login button, click “Forgot your username or password?” and follow the instructions.

Is the Florida Poly Bucks Account Management Center a secure site?

Yes, it is secured via 128 Bit SSL Encryption so you can manage your account with confidence.

What are the Florida Poly Bucks Terms and Conditions and how can I review them?

The terms and conditions outline program policies and terms of use for the Florida Poly Bucks account. They are available for review via a link in the footer of every page on this site.

What is the Florida Poly Bucks refund process?

You may receive a refund of your Florida Poly Bucks account balance when you graduate, withdraw or leave Florida Polytechnic University. Proof of withdrawal or dismissal is required. Refund requests must be submitted to the university’s card program service provider in writing to:

Please see Section 20: Account Refunds in the Terms & Conditions for further details.

Have another question? Email it to



More Questions?

For more information please contact us at

Registration Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

When is registration?

Please refer to the Academic Calendar.

How do I register for classes?

Detailed instructions on how to register for classes are available on the course registration page.

I forgot my username/password to log in. Whom should I contact?

You can reset your password on the CAMS homepage. If you need additional assistance, you can contact the Help Desk at 863-874-8888.

Who is my Faculty/Academic Advisor?

You can locate your assigned faculty advisor’s name by logging into your CAMS account. The name and contact information of your faculty advisor will be noted in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Faculty offices are all located on the second floor of the IST Building. Office hours will be posted on the faculty member’s door and in CAMS.

Why am I blocked from registration?

It is likely your file is missing a required document. This may be an immunization form, official high school transcript, or test scores (ACT/SAT). There also may be a hold on your account for past due parking tickets or other business matters. Contact the Office of Admissions or the Bursar’s Office.

Which courses should I take?

Refer to the Academic Catalog.

Select your College and appropriate concentration. At the top of this page you can select the option to print a degree planner. This planner is used to select the appropriate courses for your major of study. For additional guidance, please meet with your faculty advisor.

How many credits do I need to take to maintain my scholarship?

Students using the Inaugural Scholarship are required to register for a full-time load each Fall and Spring semester (12 – 18 credit hours).

Students unable to attempt at least 12 credit hours in a semester must receive approval from the Registrar and Office of Financial Aid to use their Inaugural Scholarship.

Students are required to attempt 30 credit hours in the Academic Award Year (Fall – Summer).

Students who are unable to take 30 credit hours (i.e., 28-29 credit hours) because taking an additional course will put them over 30 credit hours may exercise the following options:

Students may elect to stay at 28-29 credit hours. Florida Poly will cover the credits being taken, and the student will still be eligible for the following year.

**Students who are able to meet exactly 30 credit hours for the Academic Award Year are NOT eligible for additional assistance.**

For additional questions, contact Financial Aid at

I am an undergraduate student. What is the maximum number of credits I can take in one semester?

Students should take between 30 and 33 hours annually to graduate in four years. In the Fall and Spring semesters, the maximum number of credit hours in which an undergraduate may enroll is 18. Refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. (See Student Load.)

I am a graduate student. What is the maximum number of credits I can take in one semester?

The University requires that any graduate student wishing to enroll in more than 12 credit hours in a semester obtain written permission from an academic advisor. Refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. (See Student Load.)

Am I required to take summer classes?

Undergraduate students entering a university in the State University System with fewer than 60 semester credit hours must earn at least nine semester hours prior to graduation by attendance at one or more Summer sessions. Refer to the Academic Catalog for more information. (See Summer Enrollment Requirement.)

What courses will be offered in the summer?

Summer courses will be offered based on the academic needs of our students; the summer course offerings will be posted prior to summer course registration.

I’m thinking about changing my major. What should I do?

Discuss this with your faculty advisor.

You can change your major by using the Change of Major form.

Parking on Campus Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

How do I contact the Parking Office?

The Parking Office contact information is: 863.874.8440 or

What are the Parking Office hours and location?

Hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. The office is located in the Wellness Center.

What I should know about parking on campus:

  • GREEN signed lot: Faculty, Staff, Students and Vendors. These lots are Lot 3 Northside, 4, 6 and 8.
  • BROWN signed lots/spaces: designated for Florida Poly faculty and staff only. These lots are 1, 2 and 3 Southside (look for brown signs).
  • RESERVED SIGN SPACES: Designated Reserved Signed Spaces: Reserve permit holder only
  • Visitor Park & Pay Parking Spaces: Available in lots 1, 2, 3 and 8. Look for the visitor park and pay signs in front of the space. Student, faculty, staff and vendor passes are not valid in visitor spaces.
  • Restricted parking areas: Parking in grasses areas behind the Wellness Center, in front of the IST, Admissions Parking Lot.

What is a digital permit?

Digital permits use the license plate as the permit number. There is no need to display a permit or hang-tag as long as your vehicle plate is fully visible for parking enforcement vehicle to scan and registered.

Do I need a Florida Poly digital parking pass?

Yes, all vehicles parking on campus must register for a Florida Poly digital parking decal. Visitors who do not have a parking decal may purchase a day pass at one of the kiosks located in lots 1, 2, 3 and 8. Visitor may also purchase a visitor’s pass on the Whoosh! App.

What do I need to get a digital parking pass?

In order to register for a digital pass you will need a valid government issued ID, Florida Poly ID card, and a copy of valid registration of the vehicle(s) that will be registered. Up to 4 vehicles can be registered under one permit, however only one can be parked on campus at a time.

How and when do I receive my decal?

After you register for a pass and the parking office has processed the request you will receive an email stating your parking pass has been activated. Please verify information listed is correct. For questions contact

What if I drive more than one vehicle?

With digital permits, the license number becomes the permit. Up to four vehicles can be registered for one parking pass. As long as each vehicle is listed on an account then they have a valid digital permit. Digital permits still only allow one vehicle under a registered account to be on campus at a time. Unregistered vehicles or multiple vehicles on campus at the same time under one account will result in a citation.

Where can I park with a student decal?

General parking student decals can be used in Lots 4, 6, 8 and some spaces on Lot 3. Decals cannot be used in reserved or faculty/staff spaces or in Lot 1, 2 and 3.

Can I back into a parking space?

No, backing into spaces is not allowed. Florida Poly uses license plate recognition (LPR) to determine if a vehicle has a valid permit. Plate must be fully visible for the parking enforcement vehicle to scan.

Why did I get a citation I purchased a pass?

If you purchased a parking pass and get a citation please contact the parking office immediately to determine what the issue is. There are a number of reason this could be happening:

  • Vehicle plate number was entered incorrectly.
  • Got a new plate number and it wasn’t updated in the system.
  • More than one vehicle registered to one permit is on campus at the same time.
  • Permit has expired.
  • Parking in a reserve, handicap, staff or other designated space without proper permit.

Where do visitors park, and how much does parking cost?

Visitor parking is located in Lots 1, 2, Lot 3 and Lot 8. There are park-and-pay kiosks located in each lot. Visitor parking spaces are designated with signs that indicate “Visitors Park and Pay.” Two-hour parking is $2, and all day parking is $5. Kiosks accept debit or credit cards only. Visitors can also pay through the Whoosh app. Passes can be purchased at the parking office with check, debit or credit card. No cash is accepted.

I have visitors coming to campus. Can I purchase a visitor’s pass for multiple days?

Yes, multiple day passes can be obtained at the parking office.

Can a vehicle cover be used on my vehicle in Florida Poly parking lots?

If a vehicle cover is used, the license plate must be visible. Citations are given if the parking pass is not properly displayed.

How do I pay for a citation?

Citation payments may be remitted online, in person or mailed to the Florida Poly P.A.T.S Office, at 4700 Research Way, Lakeland, FL 33805-8531.

How do I appeal a citation?

Appeals forms are available on the P.A.T.S page. Look for the “Appeal a Citation” quick link on the left hand side of the page. Appeals forms must be submitted no later than 10 business days from the date of the citation. Appeals hand be submitted via email at or at the parking office.

What is the Appeals process?

Once an appeals is submitted for the review of the university appeals committee the citation will be put on hold and no late fees will be accrued. The committee meets the first Friday of each month to review appeals. Once the committee has reviewed the appeal then notification of the outcome will be send out.

My car was booted/towed. What do I do?

The balance of all outstanding citations and boot/tow fees must be paid for your vehicle to be released. Vehicles will be released to the registered owner. Balances must be paid at the Florida Poly P.A.T.S Office.

I am having an event and need to reserve parking. How do I do that?

Faculty and Staff members can request parking passes for their event through the University event management system (EMS). To discuss group/event parking contact parking at 863-874-8440.

How do I have a parking hold removed?

A parking hold will be placed on a student’s account for any outstanding citation balance. Holds can only be removed when balance is paid in full. Once the balance has been paid please contact the parking office to have the hold released.

Can I obtain a refund?

Parking Permits and fees are non-refundable, per the Board of Trustees. Click the link for more information on current parking policy.

Technology Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

Are there requirements for computer use on campus?

Florida Poly has a BYOD philosophy for campus computers. But if you are buying a new or used computer, the following specifications are recommended.

  • Intel Core i5 or i7 processor
  • 8 GB RAM* (upgradeable to 16 GB or more)
  • 250 GB hard disk or larger (7200 RPM) or SSD drive
  • DVD+-RW combo drive

Minimum hardware configuration: If your computer meets these requirements, you should be able to get one to two more years of good use out of it. Of course, this varies with specific requirements your work or studies may require.


  • Intel Core i3 processor, or later
  • 4 GB RAM*
  • 120 GB hard disk
  • DVD+-RW combo drive
  • Recommended software Microsoft Windows 7 or older
  • Microsoft Office suite 2010 or later (provided by the University)
  • Antivirus software

How do I sign on to Florida Poly student email?

You can access your Florida Poly email account through Office 365.

How do I get my ID card activated?

Contact the IT helpdesk by email at

How do I print using my Windows computer?

The following are the steps to connect a Windows computer to the 1st and 2nd floor printers:

  • Step 1: Connect to POLY_BYOD or POLY_SECURE if not already connected
    • (i.e. Floridapoly student myportal login and password).
  • Step 2: Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard.
  • Step 3: Enter print server name FPU-print01 and click OK.
  • Step 4: Enter same credential for the POLY_BYOD (i.e. Floridapoly student myportal login and password).
  • Step 5: On the list of right click on Student Copier 2nd Floor Common on FPU-print01.
  • Step 6: Click on connect (wait for syncing process) then you are ready to print.
    • Note: Follow the same steps above to connect to the 1st floor printer.

How do I print using a Mac?

The following are the steps connect a Mac computer to the 1st and 2nd floor printers. Before beginning, make sure you are on the Poly_Secure Wi-Fi network.

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

Select Print & Fax.

Click on the plus (+) sign in the lower left corner of the window. If this option is greyed-out, you will need to click on the orange lock below and authenticate with administrator credentials.

In the resulting Add a Printer window, add the Advanced tab to the toolbar. Position your cursor in the empty space to the right of the Windows icon and right click (or hold the control key and left-click). Select “Customize Toolbar”.

Add the Advanced button (a gear symbol) by dragging it to the Toolbar. Click OK when finished.

Click the newly added Advanced tab to begin adding the printer. Select the Type pulldown, and change the selection to “Windows printer via spoolss”.

In the URL box type any of the following addresses after “smb://”

For the 1st Floor Student Copier type “fpu-print01/Student%20Copier%201st%20Floor%20IST1011”

For the 2nd Floor Student Copier type “fpu-print01/Student%20Copier%202nd%20Floor%20Commons”

For the Wellness Center Copier type “fpu-print01/Wellness%20Center%20Copier”

Click on the Use drop down and click “Select Printer Software…” and search for “RIOCH MP C4503 JPN PS” in the upper left search bar.

Once found, select OK to add the printer.

If the driver doesn’t appear in the search results go to the following link to download them from Rioch’s website:

The download will be a “.dmg” file that you can mount and contains a “.pkg” which you can run and follow the onscreen instructions to install the driver.

When you attempt to print a document for the first time, you should be met with a prompt asking you to authenticate. To authenticate properly, you will need to append floridapoly before your username, and then use your MyPoly account password.

Note the option to remember your password using the keychain (unchecked by default). This will store your name and password and allow you to print future documents without needing to provide your credentials each time.

If you change your MyPoly password you may not automatically be prompted for the new password – printing jobs may simply stop working due to incorrect authentication. To fix this, navigate to /Applications/Utilities and launch Keychain Access.

In the left-hand column, make sure “login” is selected as the keychain, and select the “Passwords” category.

In the list of stored keychain items, select the stored entry for your printer (you may have multiple VPS printers set up). It should share the name of your printer, and be labeled as a “Network Password”.

Once located, right-click (or control+left click) on the item and select Delete. This will remove the entry so that you will be prompted for new credentials next time you print. This must be done each time you change your password if you choose to store your credentials.

How can I update an expiring password using my personal computer?

  1. Sign-in to MyPoly Portal with your current password.
  2. Once signed in click on the menu icon in the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click My Account from the menu icon’s drop down menu.
  4. On the left side of the page click Reset password.
  5. Enter new password.
  6. Click ok.

How can I update an expiring password on a Mac?

  1. Login with your MyPoly Portal credentials
  2. Press ctrl+alt+delete
  3. Click Change a Password
  4. Enter a new password
    1. Your password must meet the following requirements: At least 8 characters long
    2. Contain at least one upper-case letter
    3. Contain at least one lower-case letter
    4. Contain at least one number or special character
    5. Cannot contain your first or last name
  5. Click OK.

Title IX Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

Isn’t Title IX about Athletics?

No, not entirely. Title IX addresses discrimination based on sex/gender. Title IX considers sexual harassment and sexual violence as a form of sex/gender discrimination and it requires that all incidents of sexual misconduct be viewed and worked to be stopped, prevented and provide a remedy.

What is sexual misconduct?

Sexual misconduct is an umbrella term is used to refer to a broad range of sexually inappropriate behaviors that includes sex discrimination; sexual violence (rape/sexual battery/sexual assault); sexual harassment; intimate partner violence (domestic, violence, dating violence, relationship violence); stalking; sexual exploitation; and other forms of sexually exploitative behavior that can occur between strangers or acquaintances, including people involved in an intimate or sexual relationship. Sexual Misconduct can be committed by any person and can occur between people of the same or different sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or gender expression. It is when there is a lack of consent, which cannot be gained by force (against a person’s will) or when a person cannot give consent (under the age of consent, incapacitated, or mentally/physically unable to consent).

What do I do if I’ve been sexually assaulted?

  • Get away from the attacker and go to a safe place as soon as possible. Call 911.
  • Call a friend or family member you trust. You also can call a crisis center or a hotline to talk with a counselor. Peace River Center Phone: (863) 413-2700 24/7 Crisis Line.
  • To preserve evidence do not wash, comb, or clean any part of your body. Do not change clothes if possible, so the hospital staff can collect evidence. Do not touch or change anything at the scene of the assault.
  • You may go to your nearest hospital emergency room or Peace River Center as soon as possible. There you can be examined, treated for any injuries, and screened for possible sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or pregnancy. They can do a collection of evidence using a rape kit (SAFE Exam: Sexual Assault Forensic Exam) for fibers, hairs, saliva, semen, or clothing that the attacker may have left behind.
  • The advocates from Peace River Center or the hospital staff can help you make choices about reporting the assault and getting help through counseling and support groups.
  • If you decide you want to file a police report, you or the hospital staff can call the police from the emergency room.

What are other resources for help?

Where do I go at the university to report an incident of misconduct?

Sexual Misconduct should be reported to the Title IX Coordinator, Michelle Disson.

Phone: (863) 874-8484
Email: or
Office Location: Phase II Offices

I’ve already gone to the police, so why do I need to go to the Title IX Coordinator?

Sexual misconduct can be a potential crime but they also are violations of Title IX and university policy. Sometimes, specific conduct may not constitute a crime, but may violate Title IX and university policy. The university is committed to addressing and preventing sexual misconduct, regardless of whether such activity constitutes a crime.

The University has resources, options for reporting and investigating, and interim measures that may be available to a person who has experiences the misconduct and/or are going through the process of an investigation.

Going to the police and/or the University are two different reporting avenues that are different in nature.

  • University Administrative Process includes interviews with all parties and witnesses. There is a formal and informal resolution process available. The Title IX Coordinator will go over all options available when an in-person meeting occurs. The standard used for these processes is a preponderance of the evidence
  • Police Department is another reporting options for people that want to pursue a criminal complaint. This may include interviews and court proceedings. The standard used is beyond a reasonable doubt.

Will my complaint stay confidential?

Your privacy is a priority. In some cases, limited information may be disclosed to allow for an investigation to move forward. Please discuss your concerns about privacy and confidentiality with the Title IX coordinator. If you disclosure to a Responsible Employee (all faculty, staff, university police, Resident Assistants, and any other staff not labeled Confidential) they are required to report to the Title IX Coordinator. However, the Responsible Employee will only notify the Title IX Coordinator and maintain privacy to the person who experienced the misconduct by not disclosing to others.

What is a Title IX Coordinator?

The Title IX Coordinator is the university official responsible for ensuring that the university complies with Title IX, including responding to and investigating all complaints of gender discrimination and sexual misconduct.

Have further questions?

Please reach out to the University Title IX Coordinator:

Title IX Coordinator
Michelle Disson

4700 Research Way
Lakeland, Fla. 33805-8531
Ph: (863) 874-8484

University Police Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

How do I report an emergency or a crime?

Contact the police department by dialing 863.874.8472. If you are near a blue emergency phone, simply press the red button and you will automatically be connected to an answering service that contacts the Lakeland Police Department and Florida Polytechnic University Police. In an emergency, dial 911 from any phone. You can also report a crime anonymously.

Once connected, please:

  • State the nature of the emergency or your call
  • Clearly identify yourself
  • Give your exact location
  • Describe any suspects as accurately as possible

What do I do if I see a suspicious person or incident?

Call the police. Describe what you have seen so that we can decide the proper course of action. If you are unsure, call anyway. You may remain anonymous if you wish.

I have locked myself out of my car or my battery is dead. Can you help me?

Yes. Call 863.874.8472 or pick up one of the blue emergency phones for assistance. An officer will arrive as soon as he or she is available.

Can I buy a parking permit from the police?

No. Auxiliary Services handles all permit purchases, replacements, payments for citations and appeals. Auxiliary Services is located at 4550 Polytechnic Circle inside the Wellness Center. Their phone number is 863.874.8433.

What do I do if I have lost or found an item?

Drop the item off at the Florida Polytechnic University Police located at 4545 Polytechnic Circle (Campus Control Center) or call 863.874.8472 and a member of the University Police will retrieve the item.

Can I call the Florida Polytechnic University Police to escort me to my vehicle?

Yes, simply call 863.874.8472.

The following are some simple precautions to reduce your possibility of becoming a crime victim:

  • Do not leave valuables in plain view inside your vehicle.
  • Always lock your car doors.
  • Do not leave valuables unattended at any time (this includes textbooks).
  • Do not share your password with anyone.
  • Immediately report any suspicious incidents or persons to the security office.

Graduate Program Arrow Seperator Toggle FAQs Close FAQs

What graduate programs does Florida Poly offer?

We offer two graduate-level programs; a Master of Science in Computer Science and a Master of Science in Engineering. Visit the Graduate Program admissions website for details.

What is the application process for graduate students?

Detailed instructions are available on the graduate program website.

Does the Graduate School admit for spring and/or summer?

New students are admitted once a year beginning in the fall.

Do you have a Graduate School Admission Counselor?

Yes. Domestic students with questions about any of the graduate programs or the application and admission process should contact Ryan Sullivan. International students with similar questions should contact Mustapha Achoubane.

Can I visit Florida Polytechnic University?

Yes! We typically host tours five days a week and some Saturdays. More information on visiting Florida Poly can be found on our Ways To Visit page.

Where can I view the status of my application?

Applicants can log in to their online application to view the most up to date information available regarding their application status. If you have additional questions please reach out to your graduate admissions counselor.

What are the deadlines for application to the graduate program? When will I receive my admission decision?

The Graduate Program enrolls students for Fall terms only. The deadline for the admission application and all supporting documents is March 15th. No decision will be given until after the March 15th deadline.

Can I enroll in a part-time degree?

Students are able to take courses on a part-time basis, which is defined as a term of less than 9 credit hours, however, students should be aware that courses are offered in a sequence and not all courses will be offered every semester.

Can I earn a degree online?

Because of the hands-on, project and research based nature of our programs, all of Florida Poly’s graduate courses are held on-campus.

Can I apply to more than one program?

Yes, you are able to apply to more than one program.

Can I transfer to a Florida Polytechnic University graduate program?

No. Applicants must apply through the formal graduate application, even if they have earned or are currently earning graduate-level credit at another institution.

How long does it take to obtain an M.S?

Florida Poly’s M.S. degrees are 30 credit hour programs meant to be completed in 2-3 years of full-time study. The exact timeframe for completion may vary depending on a student’s chosen courseload per semester.

May I take graduate classes at Florida Polytechnic University without being admitted into a program?

No – All students in Florida Poly’s graduate programs must be formally admitted to their program of choice.

What is the cost of tuition and what is included?

To review or most up to date tuition and fees breakdown please visit:

Do you offer financial aid, scholarships, or other sources of funding?

Yes! For the most current information regarding available aid, please visit our scholarship webpage here: or reach out to our financial aid department directly at

How much is the application fee?

The standard application fee is $30.

Do you offer an application fee waiver?

Yes – students may contact their graduate admissions counselor to request an application fee waiver. Your admissions counselor will determine if you meet the requirements to have your application fee waived.

Can I apply for research internships?

Yes! Please visit our campus jobs section on Workday to learn about potential opportunities.

Do you charge a deposit to hold my offer of admission?

Yes, there is a $200 non-refundable deposit fee to secure your spot at Florida Poly. This deposit is applied directly to the cost of tuition, and formally grants your seat in our graduate school.

Can applicants apply with three-year bachelor degrees received from India, Australia, or other countries?

All three-year bachelor degree will need to be evaluated individually for four-year equivalency. An approved agencies listed on our international admissions requirements page will need to determine whether your three-year degree is equivalent to a four-year baccalaureate degree in the U.S.. You will need to send your transcript to an approved agency for them to review your information. They will then send your evaluated transcript to you and our admissions office.

Can I apply if I am an undocumented student?


Can I receive a waiver for the TOEFL or IELTS?

An international applicant’s proficiency must be adequate. International students whose first language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. Eligible international students must show evidence of English proficiency through: (a) A qualifying Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 500 on the paper based test, 173 on the computer-based test, or 61 on the iBT Internet-based test; (b) A score of at least 6 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam; (c) A score of 77 on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB); or (d) Completion of the AA or higher degree at an American college or university, or any college or university where English is the primary language of instruction.

What are the minimum GRE scores necessary to be admitted? What about grade point average or class rank?

There are no specified minimum GRE or GPA requirements to obtain admission to the graduate school. These quantitative measures are just one part of the application. The admissions committee considers all aspects of every application before making any decisions – this includes your previous academic performance, test scores, letters of recommendation, etc.

I took the GMAT, LSAT, or MCAT. Can I submit those scores instead of GRE test scores?

No — The GRE is required.