Preparedness is critical to surviving an emergency situation. The Florida Poly Police Department offers the following steps to take in the event of an active shooter incident.
Secure Immediate Area:
- Lock and barricade doors.
- Turn off lights.
- Close blinds.
- Turn off radios and computer monitors.
- Keep people in the room calm, quiet and out of sight.
- Keep yourself out of sight and take adequate cover and protection (i.e. concrete walls, thick desks, filing cabinets). Cover may protect you from bullets.
- Silence all cell phones.
- Place signs in exterior windows to identify the location of injured persons.
Un-Securing an Area:
- Consider the risks before un-securing rooms.
- Remember, the shooter will not stop until he/she is engaged by an outside source.
- Attempts to rescue people should only be made if it can be accomplished without further endangering the people inside a secured area.
- If the safety of individuals inside a room is at risk, the area should remain secured.
- Emergency: 911
- University Police: 863.874.8472
What to Report:
- Your specific location, including building name and office/room number
- Number of people at your specific location
- Injuries – number of injured and types of injuries
- Number of suspects
- Clothing description
- Physical features
- Additional Information:
- Types of weapon(s) (e.g. long gun or handgun)
- Shooter’s Identity (if already known)
Here are the priorities of responding police:
- Immediately isolate/engage assailant(s)
- Evacuate victims
- Facilitate follow-up medical care, interviews, counseling, etc.