Innovation, Science and Technology Building, 4700 Research Way, Room 2101, Lakeland, FL 33805-8531
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 2009
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Missouri Rolla, 2004
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Missouri Rolla, 2002
Dr. Matt Bohm joined the university in 2016 after spending six years as an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Louisville (UofL). Bohm’s research examines the intersection of three distinct areas: engineering design, engineering education, and big data.
Currently, Bohm has an active National Science Foundation grant under the Division of Undergraduate Education to examine the effects of systems modeling paradigms with respect to design outcomes and systems thinking and understanding.
While at UofL, Bohm was primarily responsible for overseeing the mechanical engineering department’s capstone design program. During his time at UofL, Bohm transformed the capstone design program from an ad-hoc, student derived project course into an industry-driven and sponsored immersive project course, that resulted in higher quality student projects and funding coming into the department from industrial partners. Bohm was the first faculty member at Florida Poly to bring an NSF grant to the University, which focused on improving the ability of engineering students to design systems and processes to meet consumer needs.
Prior to his position at UofL, Bohm was a visiting researcher at Oregon State University after completing his doctorate at the Missouri University of Science and Technology (S&T) in 2009. While at S&T, Bohm was also a lecturer for the Department of Interdisciplinary Engineering and was responsible for coordinating and teaching design and mechanics related courses.
- Engineering design
- Engineering education
- Automated conceptual design
- Mental models
- Design informatics
- ASME Member
- Guest special edition editor for AIEDAM (2017)
- Reviewer for JCISE, REID, JED
Awards and Honors
- NSF Award #1734519 – Collaborative Research: Evaluating the Impact of Teaching Function in an Engineering Design Curriculum, 2015-19
- ASME Engineering Information Management Distinguished Paper Award, 2003
- Tomko, M., Nelson, J., Nagel, R. L., Bohm, M., & Linsey, J. (2017). A Bridge to Systems Thinking in Engineering Design: An Examination of Students’ Ability to Identify Functions at Varying Levels of Abstraction. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 31(4), 535-549.
- Bohm, M., Eckert, C., Sen, C., Srinivasan, V., Summers, J. D., & Vermaas, P. (2017). Thoughts on Benchmarking of Function Modeling: Why and how. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 31(4), 393-400.
- Nagel, R., Bohm, M., & Linsey, J. (2016, June 26 – 29). Evaluating the Impact of Teaching Function in an Engineering Design Curriculum. Proceedings of the 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, ASEE2016-14815, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Bohm, M. R., & Nagel, R. L. (2011, August 28 – 31). Formalizing Flow Relationships in Data Archival and Reuse for Product Design. Proceedings of the ASME 2011 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, DETC2011-47849, Washington, DC.
- Bohm, M. R., Haapala, K. R., Poppa, K., Stone, R. B., & Tumer, I. Y. (2010). Integrating Life Cycle Assessment Into the Conceptual Phase of Design Using a Design Repository. Journal of Mechanical Design, 132(9), 091005-091005-091012.
- Bohm, M. R., Stone, R. B., & Nagel, R. L. (2009, November 13 – 19). Form Follows Form: Is a New Paradigm Needed? Proceedings of the ASME 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, IMECE2009-10410, Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- Bohm, M. R., Vucovich, J. P., & Stone, R. B. (2008). Using a Design Repository to Drive Concept Generation. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 8(1), 014502-014502-014508.
- Bohm, M. R., Stone, R. B., Simpson, T. W., & Steva, E. D. (2008). Introduction of a Data Schema to Support a Design Repository. Computer-Aided Design, 40(7), 801-811.
- Bohm, M. R., Stone, R. B., & Szykman, S. (2005). Enhancing Virtual Product Representations for Advanced Design Repository Systems. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 5(4), 360-372.
- Bohm, M. R., & Stone, R. B. (2004, September 28 – October 2). Representing Functionality to Support Reuse: Conceptual and Supporting Functions. Proceedings of the ASME 2004 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, DETC2004-57693, Salt Lake City, Utah.
*External, third-party sites not maintained by Florida Polytechnic University