Instructional Development and Educational Achievement
The IDEA Center is composed of a team of professionals with backgrounds in pedagogy, curriculum development and
planning, instructional design, instructional technology and media, and learning assessment.
The team serves academic departments, faculty, and student support units, as well as the University
as a whole when it comes to instructional development and educational achievement
for the benefit of employees and students. Our mission is to help faculty, students,
and staff achieve their instructional and educational objectives through efficient
design, quality, outcomes-oriented support, and delivery of media and instructional
technology resources to facilitate engagement and learning. Our vision is to see Florida
Poly promoted as the destination university for high-quality STEM learning.
Programs and Services
The IDEA Center brings together areas such as Canvas Learning Management System support, the University’s SIM Lab (Simulation,
Instruction, and Media), Educational Outreach, and other instructional and learning
services and programs.
- Teaching Support Workshops: Demand-driven workshops where the latest research and methods are shared with interested
- Faculty Learning Communities: Facilitated, open-ended interactions among cohorts of faculty with shared instructional
experiences and educational goals.
- Educational Outreach Programs: On-campus and off-campus (at your school) visits and curriculum and multimedia assets for virtual and
- Course Design and Delivery: Design and deliver courses using best practices for student learning and success.
- Canvas General Support: Effectively use and troubleshoot Canvas LMS.
- Classroom Technology Troubleshooting: Can’t get the project on? SIM Lab staff will help.
- Learning Technology Enhancements: Developing engaging interactive learning experiences for courses.
- Integrate advanced visual and auditory materials (lightboard shoots, branching scenario,
voiceover recordings, green screen, screen casting,)
- Interactive media/simulation (2D and 3D)
- Development of digital assets for enhanced
- Canvas graphic design for classes, clubs, and units
- Course materials (H5P, game development, simulations, etc.)
- Facilitate media software instruction
- Distributed Learning Development: Design and deliver online and other distance learning experiences that meet quality
- Facilitateinclusive teaching and Universal Design for Learning.
- Assessment: Student-centered assessment activities and mid-semester feedback.
- Educational Research/Grant Proposals: Providing support for grant writing, classroom research, and evaluation.
- Student Learning and Project Support in Collaboration with the University Writing Center: Enabling students to excel in course projects by helping integrate technology, multimedia
guidance, and clear communication. (Student class project, Capstone Showcase)
The Instructional Development and Educational Achievement (DEA) Center delivers programs and services that enrich the University learning environment
for students, faculty, and academic support units and contribute to learning achievement
and student success.
Technology and Learning
The University SIM Lab and Canvas support services provide training, tools, and professional
advice and consulting on any aspect of technology in instruction, course development,
student projects, videos, graphics development, and much more.
Educational Outreach provides a venue for Florida Poly students to develop critical
skills in communicating complex concepts to a more public audience. Students working
with Educational Outreach develop lessons, demonstrations, and may even lead workshops
with K-12 students from around the state. Educational Outreach offers opportunities
for faculty engagement, and for Florida Schools to learn about and from Florida Poly.
Student Project Support
Need help with your class presentation technology needs? Visit the SIM Lab.
Need help polishing your writing or your presentations? Contact the Writing Center.
Email the IDEA Center