Come one, come all! On Saturday, March 16 Florida Poly will host Phoenix Family Day from 10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. Activities throughout the day will include a showcase of faculty and student research projects, outdoor recreational activities, fitness sessions, and student clubs on campus. Phoenix Family Day is open to Florida Poly students and employees, and their families. Click here to download printable agenda.
Phoenix Family Day 2019
Student Life Showcase - 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
Our Student Life showcase will be held from 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. which will feature a collection of innovative student-developed projects in the IST Building as well as interactive club activities outside the IST building from zen yoga to a giant jenga game.
Student Life Showcases
- VR Game Room (IST 1022)
- Florida Poly Rocks Green Screen (IST 1060)
- The Force Institute Lightsaber Training (IST 1002/1003)
- A Year in Review (IST 1014)
- Rhythm Games DDR, Rock Band Sound Voltex, and More (IST 1049)
- Academic Research, Hand on Demo, and Workshop (IST 1065)
- ESports Rocket League (IST 1030)
- We Are Purple Fire Robotics (IST 1015)
- Student Gaming Project: Nanoboy (IST 1032)
- Tank Game (IST 1032)
- Diversity for Florida Poly (IST 1044)
- Art Exhibit: Express Digital (IST 1046/1047)
Outside Field Activities
- Cross Net (Field 1)
- Bocce Ball (Field 1)
- Giant Beach Cup Pong (Field 1)
- Three-legged Races (Field 1)
- Corn Hole (Field 1)
- Kan Jam (Field 1)
- Spike Ball (Field 1)
- Giant Jenga (Field 1)
- Zen Yoga (Field 1 | 11-11:30 a.m.)
- Kite Flying (Field 1 | 12-1 p.m.)
- Aerospace Activity Rockets/Planes Demo (Field TBD)
Food Truck Lunch & Student Band Entertainment 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
Come enjoy local food truck cuisine while listening to live entertainment from several Florida Poly bands outside the IST Building.
Student Talent Show (11 a.m.-2 p.m.)
- Funked Up Students Band (11-11:30 a.m.)
- Alan Longfellow Comedy (11:30-11:45 a.m.)
- Kids Play Jazz Band (11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)
- Tyler Francis (12:15-12:30 p.m.)
- Fire Drill (12:30-1 p.m.)
- Mark Goldbach Comedy (1-1:15 p.m.)
- Bird of Fire Band (1:15-1:45 p.m.)
- Ryan Perez – Ryan’s World (1:45-2 p.m.)
Academic Showcase 12-1 p.m.
Faculty from our academic departments will be in and around the IST Building between 12-1 p.m. to talk to you about courses, degrees, research on campus, and in general, provide a quick view of academic life at Florida Poly.
Student/Faculty Project Showcases
- Computer engineering showcase, Dr.’s Onur Toker, Muhammad Ullah, and Muhammad Rashid, IST 1064
- Electrical engineering showcase, Dr.’s Muhammad Rashid and Harish Chintakunta, IST 1062
- Mechanical engineering projects, Dr. Matthew Bohm, IST 1063
- Mechanical engineering lab attractions–tensile test machine, FEA computer models, cooling demo, Dr.’s Sanna Siddiqui, Seyed Soltani, and Romero Ramirez, IST 1063
- Crowd-sending model for autonomous vehicles, Dr. Luis Jaimes, IST commons
- Aerospace activity rockets/planes demo, Dr. Zahra Sadeghizadeh, IST outside field
- Biology at Florida Poly and its Relevance to STEM, Dr. Melba Horton, IST 1027
- Functionalized Diatoms for Carbon Dioxide Sequestration, Dr. Melba Horton, IST 1031
- Sustainability and Renewable Energy Fabrication and Characterization Lab–projects/demos and lab tour, Dr.’s Sesha Srinivasan, Nicoleta Hickman, and Robert Green, IST 1061
- Intelligent Agriculture–tour of organic garden; meet with agriculture and technology experts, Beverly Butler, outside by garden
- Art X STEM Digital Projects, autonomous vehicles and SunTrax mini demo, Vicki Lowe and Vamsi Hanumanthu, IST 1017
- Patient Egress Detection via visual analysis, Caleb Long, Justin McGettigan, Gabriel Morgan, Samuel Donahue, IST commons
- Autonomous Bike Cruise Control project. David Ciccarello, Patrick Skamarak, Tim GaNun, IST Commons
- Abstract Simulation Scenario Generation for autonomous vehicle verification, Christopher Medrano Berumen, IST commons
- OiGO app–Sponsored by Assistive Communications Technology, Andrew Lopez, Celeste Ramirez, Jason Smith, Jonathan Nguyen, Duniel Garcia, Austin Lubetkin, IST 1048
Great 8 Competition - 1-2 p.m.
Get a sneak peek of what our students are working on at Great 8. The competition features students pitching their projects in a “Shark Tank”-like atmosphere.
There will be a meet and greet with students from 1- 2 p.m. in the Innovation Science, and Technology (IST) building in rooms 1067 and 1068.
Questions about Phoenix Family Day? Contact Student Development.