- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Central Florida, 2020
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Central Florida, 2019
- M.Phil. in Physics, University of the West Indies, 2016
B.S. in Environmental Physics and Mathematics, University of the West Indies, 2013
Dr. Daren Watson joined Florida Polytechnic University in 2021 as an assistant professor
in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Prior to this, Watson was a postdoctoral
research associate at the University of Central Florida through the P3 Pre-eminent
Postdoctoral Fellowship Program. His research focused on the modulation of splash
dynamics using interfacial properties of spherical projectiles. Watson’s research
augurs well for interfacial fluid-structure interactions where splashes warrant control.
- Interfacial Fluid Mechanics
- Fluid-Structure Interactions
- Alternative Energy Systems
- Member, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, 2019 - present
Awards and Honors
- Recipient, Prime Minister’s National Youth Award for Excellence, 2020. The award is
the highest honor bestowed upon a Jamaican youth who has achieved eminent national
and international distinction in a specified area.
- Member, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, 2019
- Recipient, Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship, 2017
- Recipient, University of the West Indies Graduate Scholarship, 2013
- Watson, D. A., Souchik, J. C., Weinberg, P. M., Bom, M. J., and Dickerson, A. K. (2020)
“Making a splash with fabrics in hydrophilic sphere entry”. Journal of Fluids and
Structures, Volume 94, 102907, doi:10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2020.102907.
- Watson, D. A., Stephen, J. L., and Dickerson, A. K. (2019) “Impacts of free-falling
spheres onto a deep liquid pool with altered fluid and impactor surface conditions”.
Journal of Visualized Experiments, Issue 144, e59300, doi:10.3791/59300, February
- Watson, D. A., Stephen, J. L., and Dickerson, A. K. (2018) “Jet amplification and
cavity formation induced by penetrable fabrics in hydrophilic sphere entry”. Physics
of Fluids, Volume 30, Issue 8, doi:10.1063/1.5036655, August 2018.
- Watson, D. A., Binnie, Y., Duncan, K. L., Dorville, J. F.  “Photurgen: The open-source
software for the analysis and design of hybrid solar wind energy systems in the Caribbean
region: An introduction to its development policy”. Energy Reports, Volume 3, doi:10.1016/j.egyr.2017.03.001,