Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 2009
M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Missouri Rolla, 2004
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Missouri Rolla, 2002
Dr. Matt Bohm joined the university in 2016 after spending six years as an assistant professor
of mechanical engineering at the University of Louisville (UofL). Bohm’s research
examines the intersection of three distinct areas: engineering design, engineering
education, and big data.
Currently, Bohm has an active National Science Foundation grant under the Division
of Undergraduate Education to examine the effects of systems modeling paradigms with
respect to design outcomes and systems thinking and understanding.
While at UofL, Bohm was primarily responsible for overseeing the mechanical engineering
department’s capstone design program. During his time at UofL, Bohm transformed the
capstone design program from an ad-hoc, student derived project course into an industry-driven
and sponsored immersive project course, that resulted in higher quality student projects
and funding coming into the department from industrial partners. Bohm was the first
faculty member at Florida Poly to bring an NSF grant to the University, which focused
on improving the ability of engineering students to design systems and processes to
meet consumer needs.
Prior to his position at UofL, Bohm was a visiting researcher at Oregon State University
after completing his doctorate at the Missouri University of Science and Technology
(S&T) in 2009. While at S&T, Bohm was also a lecturer for the Department of Interdisciplinary
Engineering and was responsible for coordinating and teaching design and mechanics
- Engineering design
- Engineering education
- Automated conceptual design
- Mental models
- Design informatics
- ASME Member
- Guest special edition editor for AIEDAM (2017)
- Reviewer for JCISE, REID, JED
Awards and Honors
- NSF Award #1734519 – Collaborative Research: Evaluating the Impact of Teaching Function
in an Engineering Design Curriculum, 2015-19
- ASME Engineering Information Management Distinguished Paper Award, 2003
- Tomko, M., Nelson, J., Nagel, R. L., Bohm, M., & Linsey, J. (2017). A Bridge to Systems Thinking in Engineering Design: An Examination of Students’ Ability
to Identify Functions at Varying Levels of Abstraction. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 31(4), 535-549.
- Bohm, M., Eckert, C., Sen, C., Srinivasan, V., Summers, J. D., & Vermaas, P. (2017).
Thoughts on Benchmarking of Function Modeling: Why and how. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 31(4), 393-400.
- Nagel, R., Bohm, M., & Linsey, J. (2016, June 26 – 29). Evaluating the Impact of Teaching Function in an Engineering Design Curriculum. Proceedings of the 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, ASEE2016-14815, New
- Bohm, M. R., & Nagel, R. L. (2011, August 28 – 31). Formalizing Flow Relationships in Data Archival and Reuse for Product Design. Proceedings of the ASME 2011 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences
and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, DETC2011-47849, Washington,
- Bohm, M. R., Haapala, K. R., Poppa, K., Stone, R. B., & Tumer, I. Y. (2010). Integrating Life Cycle Assessment Into the Conceptual Phase of Design Using a Design
Repository. Journal of Mechanical Design, 132(9), 091005-091005-091012.
- Bohm, M. R., Stone, R. B., & Nagel, R. L. (2009, November 13 – 19). Form Follows Form: Is a New Paradigm Needed? Proceedings of the ASME 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition,
IMECE2009-10410, Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- Bohm, M. R., Vucovich, J. P., & Stone, R. B. (2008). Using a Design Repository to Drive Concept Generation. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 8(1), 014502-014502-014508.
- Bohm, M. R., Stone, R. B., Simpson, T. W., & Steva, E. D. (2008). Introduction of a Data Schema to Support a Design Repository. Computer-Aided Design, 40(7), 801-811.
- Bohm, M. R., Stone, R. B., & Szykman, S. (2005). Enhancing Virtual Product Representations for Advanced Design Repository Systems. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 5(4), 360-372.
- Bohm, M. R., & Stone, R. B. (2004, September 28 – October 2). Representing Functionality to Support Reuse: Conceptual and Supporting Functions. Proceedings of the ASME 2004 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences
and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, DETC2004-57693, Salt Lake