Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Ohio State University, 1995
M.S. in Math, Ohio State University, 1994
M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Ohio State University, 1992
B.S. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bogazici University, 1990
B.S. in Math, Bogazici University, 1990
B.S. in Physics, Bogazici University, 1990
Dr. Onur Toker is an associate professor of electrical and computer engineering at
Florida Poly. After completing his doctorate, he worked as a graduate researcher at
the Technical University of Eindhoven (The Netherlands), and the University of California
Later, he worked at the College of Computer Sciences and Engineering, K.F.U.P.M.,
K.S.A., and Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Eng., TCFU, Istanbul, Turkey. During
this time, he also worked as a consultant for Teknobil, Vatan Gida, and ACC Makina,
all in Istanbul, Turkey.
Prior to joining Florida Poly, he worked for the LiDAR company, Quanergy, (Sunnyvale,
California), and then later for the augmented reality company, DAQRI, (Sunnyvale and
Pasadena, California). Later he also worked for a stealth mode startup for a driver
behavior analysis project.
Toker is actively involved in teaching and research. He has published about 100 technical
papers, supervised or co-supervised several graduate students, and was PI or co-PI
for several funded projects.
- Hardware acceleration
- FPGA applications
- Embedded systems
Awards and Honors
- 2002, 2003: Interdisciplinary Research Award, K.F.U.P.M., K.S.A.
- 1995: Ohio State University Presidential Fellowship award
- 1990: Ranked 1st among graduating seniors in the double major program
- O. Toker, H. Gumuskaya, C. Ulas, and B. T. Yılmaz, “Lightweight Wireless Protocol
Based on IEEE 802.11 for Delay Sensitive Telerobotic Systems,” T. Journal of Electrical
Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol. 21, No. 5 (2013), pp. 1394-1410.
- H. S. Efendioglu, T. Yıldırım, O. Toker, and K. Fidanboylu, “New statistical features
for the design of fiber optic statistical mode sensors,” Optical Fiber Technology,
vol. 21 (2013), pp. 279-284.
- F. Camcı, C. Ozkurt, O. Toker, V. Atamuradova, “Sampling based State of Health estimation
methodology for Li-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 278 (2015), pp.
- B. Enez, E. Gur, B. Okur, O. Toker, A. Sisman, “A Low-cost Biomarker-based SAW-Biosensor
Design for Early Detection of Prostate Cancer,” Biosensors 2016 (26th Anniversary
World Congress on Biosensors), Gothenburg, Sweden (2016).
- M. B. Alver, O. Toker, K. Fidanboylu, “Polar Format Statistical Image Processing Based
Fiber Optic Pressure Sensors,” Proc. SPIE 9217, Applications of Digital Image Processing
XXXVII, San Diego, CA (2014), pp. 9217F-1 – 9217F-7.
- K. Alemdar, S. Likoglu, K. Fidanboylu, O. Toker, “A Novel Periodic Macrobending Hetero-core
Fiber Optic Sensor Embedded in Textile for Respiratory Movements Analysis,” Proc.
SPIE 9062, Smart Sensor Phenomena, Technology, Networks, and Systems Integration,
San Diego, CA, (2014), pp. 90620D-1 – 90620D-11.
- S. Likoglu, K. Alemdar, K. Fidanboylu, O. Toker, “A Novel Microbending Hetero-Core
Fiber Optic Sensor for Force and Location Sensing with Applications to Home Security,”
Proc. SPIE 9062, Smart Sensor Phenomena, Technology, Networks, and Systems Integration,
San Diego, CA, (2014), pp. 90620C-1 – 90620C-11.
- C. Ozkurt, F. Camcı, B. Esat, O. Toker, “Cost Benefit Analysis of Individual Cell
Control in Batteries for Electric Vehicles,” 23rd IEEE International Symposium on
Industrial Electronics (ISIE), Istanbul, Turkey, (2014), pp. 1800-1804.
- H. Efendioglu, T. Yıldırım, O. Toker, K. Fidanboylu, “Intelligent fiber-optic statistical
mode sensors using novel features and artificial neural networks,” Proc. SPIE 8693,
Smart Sensor Phenomena, Technology, Networks, and Systems Integration, San Diego,
- C. Ulas, O. Toker, and K. Fidanboylu, “Rotation Angle Estimation Algorithms for Textures
and Their Implementations on Real Time Systems,” Machine Vision-Applications and Systems,
Chapter 5. F. Solari, M. Chessa, and S. P. Sabatini eds., InTech, 2012, ISBN 978-953-307-902-8.