The new academic year is finally here! The excitement of new challenges fills the air as hundreds of new students arrive on campus to get their college life started. There will be plenty of study time, research projects, clubs, and student meetings in between classes. But as busy as college days may be, there should always be time to enjoy the fun, simple and tasty things in life… and in Lakeland!
Here are some fun and inexpensive things to do around our city:
- Downtown Farmers Curb Market – This market showcases the talents and work of local growers and artisans. It’s a great place to stroll the streets and purchase fresh produce, delicious snacks and unique handcrafted items like jewelry and home accessories. There’s also live music entertainment on the first Saturday of every month. The market is open Saturdays from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., except the month of August. It will reopen on September 1st
- Downtown Lakeland Food Truck Rally – A wide variety of food trucks and their delicious cuisine fill out the Munn Park Historic District in downtown on the second Thursday of every month, from 6 – 9 p.m. Visitors can choose from tasty BBQ to seafood tacos, pizzas with a twist, Korean gastronomy and much more. There’s also live music to add to the fun.
- Signature coffee shops – Coffee lovers can find a warm, freshly brewed cup at a mix of coffee shops in the downtown area that also provide a cozy atmosphere to study or just to hang out. Places like Mitchell’s Coffee House, Black and Brew and Concord Coffee are well-known for their yummy pastries and brunch options as well. The Poor Porker also provides a great spot for college students and hipsters alike. Delicious beignets, coffee and lemonade are offered in a hip, open-air cafe with a funky environment.
- Painting with a Twist – If you feel creative and love art, this is a great place to have fun and relax with your Florida Poly friends. Bring your favorite beverage and possibly a snack to enjoy while you let you inner artist loose. All painting supplies are provided with talented instructors guiding you every step of the way. And at the end, you’ll feel like a proud artist with a beautiful piece of art to decorate your room.
- The Downtown Lakeland Saturday Fun Run – For the more active-inclined, this 5K happens every Saturday and people run it (or walk it) just for the fun of it. The race begins at 8 a.m. from Downtown Lakeland’s Black & Brew and that’s also where it ends. There are raffles and weekly food specials for the participants. You can also enjoy a free sandwich and swag if you run it a certain amount of times.
There is so much more to enjoy in Lakeland – like a throwback movie experience at the Silver Moon Drive-in, beautiful botanical gardens like Hollis Garden and Lake Hollingsworth, the perfect place for a relaxing long walk, ride bikes or just to have a picnic with friends. For more fun activities visit Lakeland Today.
Assistant Director of Communications