Innovation, Science and Technology Building, Room 2087, 4700 Research Way, Lakeland, FL 33805-8531
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Western Ontario, 2015
M.S. in Control Engineering, Lakehead University, Ontario 2008
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Basrah, Iraq 1998
Social Media Accounts/Websites *
Google Scholar Profile
Dr. Hisham Mahmood joined Florida Polytechnic University in August 2018. Prior to that, he was a research fellow with the Department of Renewable Energy at the University of Exeter, (UK) from November 2017 to July 2018. During that period, Mahmood was a part of an international research team funded by the European Union Development Committee to develop smart energy solutions for remote communities along the English Channel. He also was a part of a project called Cornwall New Energy which provides support for small and medium-sized enterprises, in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, (UK), to enable new energy products and services to be brought to market. Mahmood was involved in an industrial project with the British company HiT Power Limited to develop a 100kW grid-connected battery charger.
From 2015 to 2017, Mahmood was a research fellow with the Distributed Generation Laboratory at the University of Western Ontario where he worked on developing power management strategies for distributed energy systems and islanded microgrids. During that period, Mahmood developed and taught a graduate course on Modeling and Control of Power Electronic Converters and their Applications in Power Systems.
Mahmood has extensive theoretical and hands-on experience in the design and control of power electronic converters, distributed generation and microgrid systems. He is a reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, and IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics.
Mahmood’s research interests extend across a wide range of topics in the areas of power electronics, energy systems, and distributed generation, both at the power electronic system level and at the higher level of power management and optimization of energy systems and demand response in smart grids.
- Power electronics
- Distributed generation
- Microgrid systems
- Renewable energy integration
- Energy management and demand response
- Member, IEEE
- Hisham Mahmood, D. Michaelson, J. Jiang, “Decentralized power management of a PV/battery hybrid unit in a droop controlled islanded microgrid,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 7215–7229, Dec. 2015.
- Hisham Mahmood, D. Michaelson, J. Jiang, “Reactive power sharing in islanded microgrids using adaptive voltage droop control,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 3052– 3060, Nov. 2015.
- Hisham Mahmood, D. Michaelson, J. Jiang, “Strategies for independent deployment and autonomous control of PV and battery units in islanded microgrids,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 742–755, Sept. 2015.
- Hisham Mahmood, D. Michaelson, J. Jiang, “Accurate reactive power sharing in an islanded microgrid using adaptive virtual impedances,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 1605–1617, Mar. 2015.
- Hisham Mahmood, D. Michaelson, J. Jiang, “A power management strategy for PV/battery hybrid systems in islanded microgrids,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 870–882, Dec. 2014.
- Hisham Mahmood, J. Jiang, “Modeling and control system design of a grid connected VSC considering the effect of the interface transformer type,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 122–134, Mar. 2012.
- Hisham Mahmood, J. Jiang, “Autonomous Coordination of Multiple PV/Battery Hybrid Units in Islanded Microgrids,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Accepted, May 2017.
- Michaelson, Hisham Mahmood, J. Jiang, “A Predictive Energy Management System using Pre-emptive Load Shedding for Islanded Photovoltaic Microgrids,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 5440–5448, Jul. 2017.
- Hisham Mahmood, J. Jiang, “Decentralized Power Management of Multiple PV, Battery, and Droop Units in an Islanded Microgrid,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Accepted, Dec. 2017.
- Hisham Mahmood, D. Michaelson, J. Jiang, “Control strategy for a standalone PV/battery hybrid system,” in Proc. IEEE Ind. Electron. Conf., Oct 2012, pp. 3412–3418.
*External, third-party sites not maintained by Florida Polytechnic University