What is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical engineering blends scientific principles, engineering problem-solving techniques, and design principles to research, design, develop, build and test mechanical systems from the Nano-scale to the huge. Applications span the breadth of human activity and are at the core of innovation and change.
What the Program Offers
In addition to foundational engineering science and design, the program offers the opportunity to participate in project-based learning experiences that support students’ interests in a range of focus areas. Students develop team and leadership skills, practical problem-solving, and engage in hands-on projects throughout the curriculum. This program is offered by the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
As a Mechanical Engineering major, you’ll apply the principles of design, analysis and manufacturing to create and test mechanical systems ranging from massive to microscopic in size. Focus areas within this program include:
Nanotechnology, also known as “the science of small,” focuses on manipulating matter at the level of atoms, molecules and supramolecular structures. This revolutionary discipline impacts many fields, from medicine to manufacturing. Students with a concentration in nanotechnology will study nanoscale materials, practices and applications in order to develop high-performance, cutting-edge products.
Operations research focuses on modeling and solving operation efficiency challenges, and predicting and demonstrating value-added gains like cost savings. Professionals with expertise in this field are often found in environments with complex operations like ports and shipyards, where they are responsible for managing and improving traffic flow. If you like solving workflow problems and designing efficient systems, then this is the concentration for you.
Materials and Advanced Manufacturing
The field of materials and advanced manufacturing focuses on engineering composite materials with unique capabilities that improve safety, efficiency and versatility. The design of new smart materials and systems has major implications for the defense, aerospace, energy and semiconductor industries. This concentration will give you a strong foundation in the fabrication, characterization, modeling and prototyping of such materials.
Mechanical Engineering Stats
percent:The increase in engineering jobs between 2010 and 2020.
millionin recent investments in multifunctional materials.
billionthe nanotechnology market is expected to reach $80 billion by 2020.
Program Educational Objectives
The mechanical engineering Bachelor of Science degree program is designed to provide a synergetic foundation in the discipline of mechanical engineering through broad educational experiences. The program seeks to inculcate an understanding of the fundamental principles of science and engineering by providing students with hands-on learning experiences and applied research opportunities.
Mechanical engineering graduates will attain the following within three to five years of graduation:
- Develop solutions through the application of fundamental concepts of math, science, and mechanical engineering as applied to problems of societal, global and economic consequence.
- Achieve professional success cultivating collaboration with multidisciplinary teams and constituencies through their technical knowledge, communication abilities and leadership skills.
- Demonstrate on-going career development as adaptive and independent professionals pursing opportunities in continuing professional education ranging from industry-related training to advanced degrees, with the spirit of an entrepreneurial mindset, and ethical responsibility to self and society.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Mechanical Engineering program will demonstrate the following:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in, life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Student Data at-a-Glance
|Fall Census Reports|
|*Includes 4 in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
Summer 2018—preliminary results
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS THE FIELD OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING?
Mechanical engineering focuses on applying the principles of design, analysis and manufacturing in order to maintain, produce and test mechanical systems.
WHAT DO MECHANICAL ENGINEERS DO?
Mechanical engineers do more than work with tools and machines. Mechanical engineers design, develop, build and test mechanical devices, from small individual parts to massive complex systems.
WHAT MAKES FLORIDA POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY’S MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DEGREE PROGRAM UNIQUE?
Students who major in mechanical engineering will gain hands-on learning through applied research and the opportunity to collaborate with industry partners. Students work at Florida Poly’s innovation labs that house a supercomputer, 3D printing systems and robotics systems. Students are able to work individually and on teams using the latest advanced technologies.
WHAT IS THE OUTLOOK FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DEGREE GRADUATES?
Engineers with a mechanical engineering degree are in demand in a variety of industries that include government, health care, transportation, defense, medicine and construction. Graduates can expect employment through any of these industries. Florida Poly graduates will have the necessary skills to fulfill jobs in these industries where entry level salaries range from $45,000 to $70,000.