Residential Life Handbook 

Resident Support

On-Call Presence

For all students living on campus there will be a Resident Assistant (RA) and Community Director (CD) in each residential community serving on-call every night from 5:00 PM – 8:00 AM Monday-Friday and 24-hours each day during weekends (Saturday and Sunday). Resident Assistants are required to complete two community rounds of the residential community each night. These rounds are intended to ensure security of the residence halls in addition to building a social presence within the community for students living on campus. Additionally, there will be a Residential Life professional staff member on-call 24/7/365. Professional staff are trained to handle a wide variety of emergency and crisis situations. In case of an emergency, call 911. You may also contact the University Police Department for any immediate concerns or after-hours emergencies at 836-874-8472 (select option #2). 

When confronted with any sort of incident within the residence halls, as mandatory reporters Residential Life staff members will take appropriate actions to handle the incident. The Residential Life staff will also submit an incident report detailing the nature of the incident. The incident report may be referred to during a Student Conduct initial meeting or general follow-up meeting with the student. It is up to the discretion of a Residential Life professional staff member to communicate with a student’s emergency contact regarding an incident; emergency contacts will always be notified when their student is in an emergency situation or is every transported off campus. All Residential Life staff members are mandatory reporters and are not confidential resources. We are required to report any and all incidents and situations we come across. If a student needs a confidential resource, they will need to contact the Office of the Ombudsman.  

Mental Health Support

Being away from home for the first time, making new friends, and taking challenging courses may not come easy for some students. At Florida Poly there are several on- and off-campus resources we provide students to support them during these various times of need. 

Residential Life staff are always present to assist students no matter their needs and are available to provide them with appropriate on- or off-campus resources. If you ever have an issue, but you are not sure where to start, a great person to speak with first is your Resident Assistant (RA) or Community Director (CD). RAs and CDs are trained in supporting students, are great listeners, and will be able to direct you to appropriate resources you may need. Residential Life staff, along with University Police, may also conduct wellness checks on students to make sure they are doing well in case we are contacted by a concerned family member or friend.

Visit CARE Services and Counseling Services for additional information.