University Registrar


As the semester comes to a close, you may be preparing to graduate. The University has created this webpage so you may familiarize yourself with these important graduation reminders. 

F1 Visa students who are graduating:

As an F-1 student, you have a 60-day period once you finish your program of study and during this time, you can: 

  • Start a new academic program within five months of the last day you attended classes or the next available session, whichever comes sooner, unless taking an authorized break or vacation. You should coordinate all plans with the University's international advisor. 
  • Apply to U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a change of status. 
  • Travel within the United States as long as you depart the country within the 60-day period. 


Additional Information

Here are some tips and resources to help you based on your plans after graduation.

Students are encouraged to Apply for Graduation online at least two semesters prior to when they plan on graduating. 

As an F-1 student, you must initiate the transfer process with the University’s international advisor if you wish to transfer to another SEVP-certified school after graduation. You must provide the University’s international advisor with the following information:

  • Written confirmation of acceptance to the new school.
  • Written request/permission to begin the transfer.
  • SEVIS school code for the transfer-in [transfer-to] school.
  • Contact information for the new school’s DSO.

If possible, make sure you receive your Form I-20 from your new SEVP-certified school before you depart the United States on any summer breaks. Also, remember to keep track of when your visa expires and renew your visa as needed with the U.S. Department of State.

If you are applying for a change of status, please notify the University’s DSO advisor via email. If USCIS approves your F-1 change of status, the University will terminate your SEVIS record.

Remember your 60-day period. In addition, if you leave the United States before the end of this period, the rest of the 60-day period is lost. Be aware that the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) auto-completes students’ records after the appropriate period has passed.