University Registrar

Student F1 Visas

We understand that there is a lot of information International Students need to know to maintain their F1 status. We are here to help you navigate this process so you can spend your time living and learning at Florida Poly. 

Maintaining Legal Status

All international students must adhere to U.S. government regulations and Florida Polytechnic University's rules and policies. 

Keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future at all times. Do not let your passport expire. Your visa must be valid at the time you enter the U.S., however, it can expire while you are here and you may remain in the U.S. with an expired visa. If your visa does expire please contact your DSO immediately. 

Students are required to report any name or address change to ISS within 10 days of the change. Please contact your DSO if your address changes. Students are required to also update their address information in their CAMS portal. 

F-1 international students cannot drop below full time without DSO approval. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations require that F-1 students enroll and complete a full course load each semester in order to maintain valid non-immigrant student status. There are only a few exceptions to the full-time enrollment requirement for the fall and spring semesters.

Students may need to extend their F-1 status for an academic or medical reason. An application must be submitted at least 10 days before your program end date.

All F-1 students and F-2 dependents are required to carry health insurance that meets the minimum coverage requirements per Florida Board of Governor’s Regulation 6.009.


Please review the following information if you plan on working while you study at Florida Poly. F1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. 

  • Students may work on-campus up to 30 days before their initial start date /first day of class at the university
  • Part-time while school is in session- up to 20 hours per week
  • Part or full-time during the annual vacation/breaks- up to 40 hours per week
  • Immediately ends if a student transfers, graduates, or fails to maintain SEVIS status
  • Does not have to relate to program of study

  • Always requires DSO approval
  • Allowed for internships (CPT) or post-graduation work (OPT)
  • Students can apply for work authorization through USCIS if experiencing Severe Economic Hardship
  • Part-time while school is in session
  • Notated on Page 2 of I-20

  • Internship or Co-op that requires DSO approval
  • Eligible after one year in full-time status
  • Must be an integral part of curriculum (Department Chair approval required)
  • Can be paid or unpaid
  • Job offer required
  • Part-time while school is in session
  • Should not exceed 365 days of full-time CPT

For more information visit the International Student Advising webpage. 

  • Post-graduation work authorization
  • Granted for up to one year
  • Requires USCIS approval (I-765)
  • Eligible to apply 90 days before program end date on I-20
  • Job offer not required to apply
  • Must be directly related to program or study
  • 90 days of unemployment allowed

  • Additional two years of work authorization for those with DHS approved STEM degrees
  • Requires USCIS approval
  • Additional eligibility requirements