Admitted Students

Florida Residency Application

Submit your Florida Residency Application

All students are required to complete a residency application. Florida residency for tuition purposes refers to whether you qualify as an in-state Florida resident or an out-of-state resident. This classification will determine your cost of tuition. Florida residents pay less in fees per credit hour than non-Florida residents. Click below to get started.

Complete Residency Application


How Do I Prove Florida Residency?

To qualify as a Florida resident for tuition purposes, the claimant must have established and maintained legal residence and physical presence in Florida for at least 12 months prior to the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is being sought. See below the documentation that can be used (Florida Statute Section 1009.21).

At least one item must be from this list:

  • A Florida voter's registration card.
  • A Florida driver's license.
  • A State of Florida identification card.
  • A Florida vehicle registration.
  • Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the individual or by the individual's parent if the individual is a dependent child.
  • Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida.
  • Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years (2 or more years) if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months.
  • Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a consecutive 12-month period.

Items listed below may be used in conjunction with one document from the above list:

  • A declaration of domicile in Florida.
  • A Florida professional or occupational license.
  • Florida incorporation.
  • A document evidencing family ties in Florida.
  • Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization.
  • Any other documentation that supports the student’s request for resident status, including, but not limited to, utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida.


Who is the Claimant for Residency Purposes?

The claimant is the person providing their documentation for residency classification. In most cases the claimant will be the student's parent (if the student is considered dependent). However, the student may be considered the claimant if they are seen as independent, based on the Florida Statute (1009.21).

A student, whether or not living with his or her parent, who is eligible to be claimed by his or her parent under the federal income tax code shall be classified as a dependent student. In these instances, the parent is considered the claimant, and will be the one providing their documentation for residency classification.

Independent students can submit their own residency classification documents. A student who meets any of the following criteria shall be classified as an independent student for the determination of residency for tuition purposes:

  • The student is 24 years of age or older prior to the Proof of Florida Residency Deadline listed in the Academic Calendar.
  • You are married. (Copy of marriage certificate required.)
  • You have children who receive more than half of their support from you, the student.
  • You have other dependents who live with and receive more than half of their support from you, the student.
  • The student is a veteran of the United States Armed Forces or is currently serving on active duty in the United States Armed Forces or National Guard or Reserves for purposes other than training.
  • At any time since the student turned age 13, where both of the student’s parents are deceased, or the student is or was (until age 18) one of the following:
    • a ward/dependent of the court or
    • in foster care
  • The student is determined an unaccompanied homeless youth by a school district homeless liaison, or by a staff member of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program.
  • The student is working on a master’s or doctoral degree during the term for which residency status is sought at a Florida institution.

Need help with the Florida Residency Application? Contact us through our Admissions email inbox or your admissions counselor.